blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

18 Jul 2012

Evo K, 5684km

In the past 8 months or so my K has proven herself to be a good velomobile. I had to ad a homemade rain cover on suction cups as a finishing touch, but that was the only 'big' thing to do. The 50mm suctions cups keep it in place over the entrance. It's made from Cordura and foam, bought from Radical Design.

The chain looks oily and free from sand, though I've never cleaned it. Wear thus far is acceptable, but more than in a Mango or similar vm. To make live inside more easy for me, I added 2 pieces of chain tube around the power side of the chain. That keeps my right leg and luggage clean.

Around the aluminium rods that are part of the steering, there's a hole in the bridge. To seal that against incoming water, I added some foam. That weights and costs nothing and does the job.

My K is the only one ever made that has a partly glass fibre monocoque. Her belly was a bit like a drum on a rough road. To stop it from being noisy, I connected it to the pedal axle shell. Now the rumbling sound is a whole lot less.

My gearing is a triple, with bio chain tube shift, 61-52-30 and 28-12 at the back. The 52 is to have close ratio gearing on a long ride with luggage.

On several spots, mostly on or around the chain tubes, I added some thin foam. Again to reduce noise and with success.

I've tried 35mm Kojaks. But the resulting turning radius was huge, like a Q on 40mm tires. (smooth and comfy fat tires...) With all the rumble reducing things I did, I luckily no longer needed them.

Another noisy part where the front struts. On a rough road a wheel sometimes, briefly, has some air time. And without load on the struts, the springs would make a rattling sound. Some rubber and garden hose solved it. Just like in the good ol' FAW.

At CV I bought a race cap from Daniel. As I bought it, it wasn't usable on the open roads. It was meant for setting records. I added some lexan and now it is a pleasure to ride with on my standard everyday rides. It's spacious and the view is excellent. The speed increase is very obvious. (understatement...) Very important thing is that I get loads of fresh air via the frontal inlet.

Less impressive, but good for the ears, is the small deflector I made. It guides the air that comes from the bonnet over my head, instead of in my ears. Because most of the time, I ride 'head out'.

So, overall, after nearly 6000km I can still say that the Evo K is a true velomobile. I've talked about speed bumps and luggage capacity before. I only added some foam and a rain cover to improve it. Though it would be a good idea if Beyss would come up with a foam cover like you find on other velomobiles. The noise issue is largely because of the less stiff partly fibre glass monocoque. But I still don't like brick roads. However, those are never that long.

Handling and speed are excellent, save, outstanding and even marvellous. The drive train combined with the rear suspension is superb. I can't have and don't want anything else anymore. Character wise and to sum it up, an Evo K is a small and agile sports car, whereas most other velomobiles are family saloons.

More photos: here. Also worth reading are Rob's not so pleasant experiences with Beyss. Though he still really likes his K.

2 comments:

  1. My 'family saloon' (Quest) turned out to have a broken front spring during the Easter meeting. No wonder it handled a bit vague. Still, a single seater family saloon makes for a really small family ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A broken spring indeed feels like the suspension is way too soft.
    Character wise Maarten.... Besides that, cars most often only have 1 person inside.

    ReplyDelete