blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

29 Jul 2010

Saturday, a 22 kilometre time trial

It'll be the 4th time that I take part in the time trial of Nijeveen. This small place, about 40 kilometre south-west of Assen, is the hometown  Nazca Recumbents. This time, I'm breaking with the habit of using my Fuego to do the race. I've got a brand new and very fast Mango Sport that should be good far an impressive average. By the way, there's also a chance of having a moist or even wet race!

The time trial is organized by the local df-club. The event ends with the recumbent time trial. We get to do two individual laps on the 11 kilometre track. It's all done on public roads. Intersections are kept clear of traffic when participants approach.

Last year, Ymte set a record by averaging 54.1kph in his Quest velomobile. I won't even get close to that. Actually, I have no idea how fast I'll be. Let's say between 41 and 45kph. The thing is that I don't have much experience with velomobile racing. But this one should be a fun to start with.

I hope I can keep the foam cover on. That's good for the aerodynamics, but the slightly asthmatic engine like a lot of air...

8 comments:

  1. Did you already received your starting time?
    See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that riding with the foam cover is a little bit faster. I may have found a trick to be more aerodynamic and still have some fresh air. If you undo the middel velcro strap and lift it up a bit, air can flow under the cover and cool a bit. So if you make a block like thing with on one side some velcro you can attach it to the velcro strip on the cover. Then place the block between the body and the cover and your good to go. I haven't tried it yet, but it should work. Let me know if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. I eagerly await your results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter, what time are you leaving ? I'll ride down there with you if that's OK with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @XL-Network:
    what if he removes the headlight and just lets the air flow in that way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The website now says "Individuele tijdrit is VOL." Does this mean I'm out of luck ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't exactly know what my starting time is. It'll be somewhere just after 14:30hr.
    I'll head for Nijeveen just after 11.
    There's always room for a recumbent toparticipate.
    Removing the headlight is not that easy. I'll carry a foam block to lift up the foam cover.

    ReplyDelete