blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

18 May 2010

A great day at the TT-circuit

Cars, not such a good idea for every day transport in a lot of cases. Up to 20 kilometre and more, a bike and even better a recumbent, is the way to go. Except for obvious things as taxis, couriers, lorries and emergency vehicles, it would be best to reduce car-use to a minimum. And yes, there are more things which can't be done without a car, but you get the idea. But, there's nothing wrong motoring as a hobby. I once had a classic BMW, and I still love the looks and sounds of a proper sports car. Another thing I enjoy is motor sports, I try to watch every Grand Prix live. I'll record it if that's not possible. Sunday, I had to record the Monaco Grand Prix, for a good reason.

Last Sunday I went to the local race track, together with my oldest brother. This weekend the TT-circuit of Assen was home of the Super League Formula and races of the Dutch Supercar Challenge. We parked our bikes near the rear entrance of the track and found a nice spot close to a chicane. A good place to see some overtaking. Later on we viewed the racing from more places around the southern part of the track. This whole day of 'petrol head' entertainment only cost us €35,-. The sounds and speeds that the SLF cars produce are magnificent. Their 4.2 litre V12 are very, very loud, so ear protection is a must within 100 metres or so. The best close racing was done by the DSC. I watched that from the grandstand next to the world famous 'Geert-Timmer bocht'.

But don't let this make you think that the circuit is a hard place to life when you're a bird. I saw all kinds of them around the track. They nest in the trees behind the stands and search for food in the small patches of heathland near the southern part of the circuit. And as soon as the engines are shut down, you can hear them whistling again. Nature seems to live in a strange sort of harmony with the roaring gasoline burning machines and the thousands of people who come to see them. Most of the time, the circuit is a quiet area with only minor activity going on.

See all the photos I made here. Me and my brother had a great day and will be there next year too. The TT-circuit truly is a place where Assen can be proud of.

Next Sunday I'll be the one racing again. This time one my favourite track, Trias, The Hague. My white Fuego Yivalté is ready for some serious cornering and so am I. This is the video I made there last year.

8 comments:

  1. I agree. If cars were used only for frivolous uses, the negative effects of them would be almost zero. Good luck at Den Haag. I'm going to Friesland instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree. Electric racecars may be brought to the racecircuit loaded with green electricity. Wireless headphones distributed for those who can't do without the noise of 'roaring gasoline burning machines'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mick
    It okay for me that you have that opinion. But you're smart enough not to buy or rent a house close to a circuit, and than start complaining, like a few people here in Assen do.
    And yes, it would be great if there was a serious race league with electric cars, with a sustainable power source! A grid full of racing Tesla's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my observation was somewhat synical, as you might have guesed.
    In reality when those electric cars would crash and the contense of the bateries would spread...Maybe not a good idea either.
    I'm glad you respect different opinions though!
    That's the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Green electricity" ? Pull the other one, it's got bells on...

    At present a very small percentage of world electricity comes from sustainable sources. Just 3% from hydro power, 0.3% from wind, 0.04% from photovoltaics.

    A very small number of cars powered by "green electricity" would use the entire world's supply, and more. Other users of electricity would be forced to use non "green" sources, and more power stations (most of them not "green") would be needed to make up the difference.

    The problem with cars is over-use, more than that cars are cars. That problem of over-use doesn't go away simply by changing the way they burn fossil fuels (e.g. indirectly by using electricity rather that directly by burning petrol).

    And I'm not an enthusiastic driver making an excuse. While our family owns a car, we haven't actually used it at all in nearly three years. I opened the door and looked inside it yesterday - it's gone a wee bit smelly inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey David, you could join Top-Gear with such a great anti-electric car comment. Just kidding ;-) I get the idea.

    One problem is using 1000kg+ to move 1 person, way too many times. But that's a whole different topic.

    In my great visionary, every house, factory etc. needs to produce it's own sustainable energy. So if you'd own a car, you need something big, or a contract with a man with a really big wind mill.

    In the end, there'd be fuel left for my beloved race and super cars :-) Cars as a hobby, no problemo.

    In the end, a lot problems could be solved by riding a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much of a fan of Top Gear.

    It's a cultural thing. Here in NL I think people view Clarkson as a lovely idiot. A cartoon character. No-one could possible be like that in real life, nor would anyone want to be like that.

    However in Britain it's different. He's an aspirational figure. People _do_ want to be like him. There's a Clarkson wannabee living on every street, driving too fast, out of control, trying to impress school children by driving past them too quickly, and probably with a deep seated hatred of cyclists.

    A lot of problems would be solved by getting those individuals to ride bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @David
    I knew that. Every country has it's own idiots. To me the president of Iran is a funny character. But I know that reality is different.

    ReplyDelete