blog header

blog header

Search This Blog

2 Mar 2010

Sunshine and a goat, photos

The weather has been quite alright since yesterday. So good that I took the Pioneer out for a ride, twice. I just came back from number two, during which I discovered a new path. One of the great things about the Pio is that it can go off road. And that ads a whole lot of possible trails to the list. This one took my to a nice view over a little lake.

These kind of waters are the result of people digging for fuel up to 75 years ago. The thick of material they dug up is called 'peat' and is the product of thousands of years of leaves falling into puddles. Those leaves didn't fully decompose because of the high ground water level. Working in the peat was very heavy. People where poor and often had a hard time. Peat was used in heaters and to cook on. The result of their work is visible throughout my province. This where I got the photo from: http://mail.bs-goedeherder.nl/meesterdorus/aardrijkskunde/AkH8/vroegerveen.htm


After I'd waited for clouds to go away I had the right light for some photography. I was glad to wear a thick coat because it still was colder than the sunshine might suggest. It was however worth the waiting.


As I rode back to the asphalt road a came past some goats. That also explains why there's a fence up around this patch of land. Goats seem to be less curious than sheep. Sheep can look at you as if you're from Mars, the whole herd at a time. Goat just continue chewing, well, mostly.

4 comments:

  1. Peter, there is veen in parts of the UK and other countries too. It's called "peet" in English. Just as here, it was used both for growing plants and as a fuel, and in some places there is little left.

    Strange weather today. Wonderful, and very welcome, sunshine, but also hail...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I've changed a couple of words in my blog post.
    ...hail and a strong wind. But much better than Sunday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter, just a note to correct the spelling, peet should be peat, you don't want to believe anything David says!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess he isn't a spelling bee champion. Luckily, baskets are made from willow, not words :-)

    ReplyDelete